Based on my epiphany in Havana I have endeavored to achieve the following.
- I will build, from parts only, a multi-rotor remote controlled aircraft as a stabilized camera platform.
- I will use traditional photography in addition to the multi-rotor to capture images of large scale structures.
- These images will in turn be used to render textured 3D models of said structures.
- I will document this entire process. Including the multi-rotor build, multi-rotor calibration and programming, use in the field, and image processing.
I hope to use this process and resulting information as a means to inspire and educate others who are interested in using these tools themselves. I believe that this system if properly implemented will have a large impact on many fields such as conservation, restoration, cultural heritage, and many others.
I will also endeavor to make the project accessible as possible in regards to price point, and as a guide to put interested parties on a path to success.
This will include:
- Explanation of concepts and terminology.
- Tips for getting started
- Skills needed
- Complete build example
- Methods of use
- Processing files
- Safety concerns